15 years on from the Old Hatfield charrette.
Several of the projects discussed at that event have been successfully completed.
- Our work at Hatfield station has delivered a much improved experience for travellers who now enjoy new services in a more attractive building. Additionally, traffic calming measures and a designated drop off point have resulted in a safer and more convenient station complex.
- Arm and Sword Lane and Dunham Mews have seen significant development, rejuvenating the area and transforming previously derelict land into exemplary housing.
- The building at Church Lane has resulted in an increased number of dwellings and an aesthetic more fitting to Old Hatfield’s character.
- We have completed the renovation of York House, providing new retail and office space for local businesses, hopefully sowing the seeds for a community hub in the future.
- Improving the visitor access to Hatfield Park at George’s Gate has resulted in a reduction in queuing on the Great North Road, and cessation of using Church Street as an exit route.
In total, this represents an investment of around £20 million. However, there is work still to be done.
Salisbury Square has remained the elusive missing piece of the Old Hatfield vision. An unsuccessful public space, the square lacks activity, which is partly due to the poor design of its public areas and buildings which surround them.
In 2013, a re-development scheme for the square was approved. Unfortunately the scheme did not ultimately prove to be viable.
Informed by public exhibitions and workshops, which took place in 2019, a revised scheme was submitted to planning in 2021.
December 2022 saw the unanimous approval for the demolition of the existing 1970s shopping parade, and the creation of a new mixed use retail and commercial development, new homes, parking and enhanced public realm.
The residential development will feature apartments above include a new terrace of homes to complete and mirror existing townhouses on Arm and Sword Lane. Three apartments will feature above the retail and commercial building.
Our next steps are to finalise the programme of development works, with an aspiration to commence works in 2023.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with our Development Manager, Rachael at email@example.com